From authors to artists, philosophers to politicians, it seems everyone has something to say about wine! With an extensive history spanning back centuries, as well as being one of the most popular alcoholic beverages in the world, it is no surprise that there are many inspirational, funny and famous quotes about wine out there.
If you follow us on Facebook, then you may have noticed us sharing some of our favourite quotes about wine over the past year. We have compiled a selection of the best quotes about wine here for those who have missed any, or are simply looking for some wine-based inspiration!
1. “Wine can be a better teacher than ink.” – Stephen Fry
2. “I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food.” – W. C. Fields
3. “Age is just a number. It’s totally irrelevant unless, of course, you happen to be a bottle of wine.” – Joan Collins
4. “I could not live without Champagne. In victory I deserve it, in defeat I need it.” – Winston Churchill
5. “Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance.” – Benjamin Franklin
6. “Wine is the only art work you can drink.” – Luis Fernando Olaverri
7. “In wine there is truth.” – Pliny the Elder
8. “Of all things known to mortals, wine is the most powerful and effectual for exciting and inflaming the passions of mankind, being common fuel to them all.” – Francis Bacon
9. “Accept what life offers you and try to drink from every cup. All wines should be tasted; some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle.” – Paulo Coelho
10. “Wine is sunlight, held together by water.” – Galileo
11. “Wine makes every meal an occasion, every table more elegant, every day more civilized.” – Andre Simon
12. “Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink, I feel shame! Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this wine, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, ‘It is better than I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.” – Jack Handey
13. “White wine is like electricity. Red wine looks and tastes like a liquified beefsteak.” – James Joyce
14. “Wine is one of the most civilised things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.” – Ernest Hemingway
15. “A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world.” – Louis Pasteur
16. “The juice of the grape is the liquid quintessence of concentrated sunbeams.” – Thomas Love Peacock
17. “It is the wine that leads me on, the wild wine that sets the wisest man to sing at the top of his lungs, laugh like a fool – it drives the man to dancing… it even tempts him to blurt out stories better never told.” – Homer
Which of these wine quotes is your favourite? Let us know in the comments below or by reaching out via our social media channels! If these quotes have inspired you to sample some more wines, then be prepared for your expanding bottle collection with a custom built wine cellar!